Welcome to Gluten Free and Still Eating

After going gluten free October 29th 2009 the search was on for anything and everything gluten free. Hours of reading blogs, reviews, articles and even Yahoo!Answers has led me to find a wide selection of things gluten free. I've decided to create this blog to help other people find out about the amazing products I have stumbled upon. I am also open for your reviews of a product, restaurant, hotel/resort or suggestions to something new! I'm sure there are thousands of products that are out there, waiting to be discovered!


















Canyon Bakehouse



After trying every brand of frozen bread, every package of bread mix and even loaves from a gluten free bakery, I still was not satisfied with gluten free bread.  Hours of searching the net led me to find a review for Canyon Bakehouse.  I immediately found their site and attempted to place an online order, it wasn't until I noticed they only shipped within the US that I almost cried for the first time over these products.  I emailed the company and requested they ship to Canada.  I recieved a reply almost instantaneously and my order was placed!  A few days later a package arrived at my door, I tore into that box like I was a kid on Christmas morning!  It had been months since I had eaten any bread and I simply couldn't wait any longer!

First I tried the Cranberry Crunch muffins, they were delicious!  Moist with a nice crunch to it, the flavour is mild and the cranberries do not over power the taste.  I had the first one plain, the next time I heated it and served with some butter, also a nice touch.

Next I dove into the Cinnamon Raisin Bread, now this one is my new favourite breakfast item.  Imagine the Cinnamon Raisin Bread that you used to eat as a kid, now multiply that taste by a thousand and you get Canyon Bakehouse's Cinnamon Raisin Bread!  I let my 8 year old step son try this and he agrees it's far better than any Cinnamon Raisin Bread he's ever had!  Coming from a kid who will pick raisin toast over cookies, that's a pretty big compliment.

Then came the San Juan 7 Grain Bread, I had been craving a BLT for months when this bread arrived, of course when lunch time rolled around out came the classic ingredients for a BLT.  Let me tell you, I was in heaven.  I ate that sandwich with the biggest smile on my face and literally tears were about to come pouring down.  I was so thrilled to finally find something to fill the void that was left when I had to give up eating my adored whole grain breads.  I have never been a fan of non toasted sandwiches, so I have only had this bread toasted, but I have read in reviews it is soft and moist enough to eat right out of the package. 

The following morning I decided eggs and toast was in order, another favourite I had been missing!  This is where the Mountain White Bread came in. I personally have always preferred whole grain breads to white breads, however this bread is almost making me change my mind.  Some days I'm in the mood for the San Juan 7 Grain, other time's it's a Mountain White day all the way.  This bread, along with the others has a great texture, nothing crumbling about as you try to take a bite.  It also has a bit of a sweetness to it that the San Juan doesn't have.  I personally find this bread works well with peanut butter and or jam because it already has that little bit of sweet.

For lunch that day it was onto the Rosmeary & Thyme Focaccia.  I decided pizza was in order.  I have tried the various grocery store gf pizza's and Pizza Nova and Pizza Pizza's gf pizza's, I wasn't impressed with any and was so excited to make my own!  I sliced the entire loaf in half, smothered with tomato sauce, pepperoni and mozzarella cheese.  The end result was nearly the best pizza I've ever eaten!  The inside was so moist, my husband thought I had made this pizza with fresh dough.  With the other half, I used a couple slices in place of garlic bread with spaghetti, simply toasted with butter this focaccia is delicious!  I also had to try bruschetta, another one of my favourites I was deeply missing, also an excellent way to eat this focaccia.

Canyon Bakehouse products are available at some Whole Foods stores in the US and are available for online ordering through their website.  If you are outside of the US try emailing them with your request. 

http://canyonbakehouse.com/

2 comments:

  1. I purchased your product at the Great Canadian Superstore in Thunder Bay Ontario. Thank you, it is the best gluten free bread that I have eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't find any in the GTA anymore. I loved their ryr bread. Have they stopped shipping it to Canada?

    ReplyDelete